Monday 20 December 2010

Pentacon Prakticar lenses (Part 1: 50mm f/1.8)

Recently I purchased a couple of lenses of eBay, these are lenses from the old German Democratic Republic (DDR).
Some people might be sceptical towards this, as the lenses are between 20 and 30 years old, but I figured I'd give it a try, since the lenses weren't that expensive and I've heard good things about optics from the DDR.
And so far I've been quite impressed by the performance of the kit, obviously they don't support autofocus on a modern DSLR (in my case a Canon EOS 1000D), but they are pretty nifty if you know how to focus manually, besides the focusing is much nicer than on my Canon kit-lens, as the focus-ring is very loose on the Canon.
My favourite of the three I've bought is the Pentacon Prakticar 50mm f/1.8:
It gives really nice and crisp images, and the aperture of the lens makes it really easy to be artistic with the camera.
Prakticar 50mm f/1.8


















 
 I love using all-manual lenses, it's real back-to-basics shooting, with all the modern technology in cameras nowadays, people tend to forget to take a moment to think before they pull the trigger.
Working with all-manual lenses, you can't go around taking point-and-shoot pictures, it takes more thought and consideration with regards to the composition of the image, and ultimately I think it gives a greater quality photo.

In the upcoming weeks I will be posting reviews of the other Prakticar lenses aswel as some pictures taken with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment